Here are some links to help you make decisions supporting local minority-owned businesses. Although we do not endorse any of these businesses specifically, we believe that our votes and our pocketbooks can pave the way to parity in employment and compensation.
Let’s Eat Out (& take out)
- Directory (and map) of black-owned restaurants in the greater portland area at iloveblackfood.com
- Willamette Week’s guide featured during “Support Black-Owned Restaurants Week”
- The Racist Sandwich blog features a directory of restaurants owned by people of color.
- And don’t forget our black-owned neighborhood coffee shop Holy Beanz Coffee at 2622 NE Alberta, PDX.
Let’s Support Other Minority Businesses
Whether you’re remodeling your home or just need a plumber, please consider getting bids from minority businesses.
- Discover Portland’s Black-Owned Businesses from Travel Oregon (updated June, 2020)
- The Mercatus Guide to Black-Owned Businesses (updated annually)
- The Good Trade list of Native-Owned Brands and Artisans (updated 2021)
- The National Association of Minority Contractors provides a good list of qualified people to work on your home or business.
- And here’s another list of Black-owned Businesses across the country (notice the bookstore section: a welcome option to Amazon.com)